Genesis is recruiting an experienced Senior Associate or Manager to join the Competition and Regulatory Economics practice area (CRE). The purpose of the job is to lead teams of consultants to complete assignments in which advanced economics of product markets is applied to real-world situations. The position will operate at a mid to senior level within the organisation. The incumbent will be responsible for directing teams, conceptualising analytical strategies fit for purpose, drafting and providing editing and quality assurance on documents submitted into various legal and policy processes, and liaising closely with clients and legal teams.
Genesis Analytics, headquartered in Johannesburg and with a regional office in Nairobi, is the largest economics-based consulting firm in Africa. In the region Genesis is the leading advisor on competition and regulatory economics. Genesis advises both corporate clients and regulators in all the active jurisdictions in the region. The competition and regulatory economics team has deep experience in all important sectors, and is a market leader in telecommunications, broadcasting, financial services, manufacturing, retail and a large number of other services sectors.
Genesis is recruiting an experienced Senior Associate or Manager to join the Competition and Regulatory Economics practice area (CRE). The purpose of the job is to lead teams of consultants to complete assignments in which advanced economics of product markets is applied to real-world situations. The position will operate at a mid to senior level within the organisation. The incumbent will be responsible for directing teams, conceptualising analytical strategies fit for purpose, drafting and providing editing and quality assurance on documents submitted into various legal and policy processes, and liaising closely with clients and legal teams. The incumbent is expected to work across both the competition and discrete regulatory domains covering various industries. As with all senior appointments in Genesis, the incumbent will be expected to build and groom more junior staff members.
- Perform rigorous economic analysis of data and reports using both conceptual and quantitative approaches. This includes independently identifying and overcoming data and conceptual problems that emerge during the analysis.
- Develop strategic insights and leading team problem solving. The incumbent will use skills and experience to break down difficult problems into tractable component parts and identify practical ways to resolve each component
- Manage projects and project teams, consistently ensuring outputs and service of the highest quality.
- Prepare, edit and quality assure clearly thought-out and logically written expert reports using MS Word and MS PowerPoint
- Independently initiate and manage all client interactions, needs and negotiations.
- Work effectively and reliably within teams in other organisations, including legal teams, client teams and other experts.
- Coach and develop staff and reviewing the inputs of junior consultants - nurture, train and mentor junior consultants, including performance management.
- Keep abreast of leading approaches, tools, debates and decisions in competition and regulatory economics.
- Understand the drivers of commercial success at a project level.
- Lead and execute on business development activities, including proposal development to completion.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL COMPETENCIES:
- Strong academic background with a Master’s degree in Economics as minimum academic requirement
- Deep experience of the application of the economics of product markets to real-world situations in regulated settings.
- 4 to 6 years’ post qualification experience essential
- Work experience in an advisory firm, economics consultancy, competition agency, economic regulator or regulated entity a necessity
- Previous experience managing a small team would be an advantage
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Advanced PC literacy
- Confident networker, driven and a self-starter
- Excellent attention to detail orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – ability to communicate at all levels and present findings to groups of people an essential requirement
- Professional and confidential approach to dealing with sensitive information
- Reliable and dependable
- Sound problem solving and judgement skills
- Strong planning and organisational skills, with ability to prioritise
- Excellent relationship management and client service skills
- Strong research, analytical and lateral thought processes
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please follow the online application process that is described on the careers portal of the Genesis Analytics website
- We use an automated applicant tracking system in order to receive and manage all applications in one central point, and for this reason, do not accept any e-mailed CV’s or applications
- Applicants need to have the following documents on hand in order to submit a complete application: 1) latest updated CV in .doc or .pdf format, 2) a detailed cover letter, 3) copy of identification document (ID or passport), 4) complete academic transcripts
- Once you have applied via our career portal, you will receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was received, and your application will be reviewed within a few days of receipt
- NOTE: Please be advised that uploaded documents/attachments cannot bigger than 4MB in total, as the system will not accept your application if the uploaded documents exceed 4MB
- South African citizenship is a definite requirement
- Relevant previous experience is essential
- Communication will be with short-listed candidates only - if you do not receive any feedback on your application within 3 weeks, please consider your application as unsuccessful
- Genesis Analytics reserves the right not to proceed with an appointment of any advertised role
- All appointments will be made in line with Genesis Analytics’ Employment Equity Plan and Policies
- This role is earmarked for an Employment Equity candidate
- All applications will be treated confidentially